· Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah, the ruler of the Malaysian state of Pahang, has been named as 16th Yang di-Pertuan Agong (king) for a period of five years starting from January 31, 2019.
· He was chosen on 24th January, 2019 to replace Sultan Muhammad V of Kelantan, who stepped down recently, making it the first abdication in Malaysia's history.
· He ended a 4-month political vacuum on 18th January, 2019 when lawmakers elected him as Prime Minister to a second term.
· Unnder Sweden's political system, a government can only operate as long as a majority of lawmakers do not vote it down.
· The International Cricket Council (ICC) on 15th January, 2019 appointed Manu Sawhney as the organization's new Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
· He will replace David Richardson, whose contact will expire at the end of World Cup.
· Satyarup Siddhanta from Kolkata has created a world record by becoming the world's youngest mountaineer to climb the 7 highest mountains and the 7 highest volcanoes in 7 years.
· Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen has appointed Su Tseng-chang as prime Minister, on 10th January, 2019 during a Cabinet reshuffle following the ruling Democratic Progressive Party's heavy losses in local elections.
· Vijay Mallya has become the first businessman to be declared "Fugitive Economic Offender (FEO)" under the provisions of the new Fugitive Economic Offender Act, 2018
· Arunima Sinha, the world's first amputee to climb Mount Everest in 2013, now has become the first female amputee to climb Mount Vinson, the highest peak in Antarctica.
· Jair Bolsonaro on 01st January, 2019 was sworn in as Brazil's president in a ceremony at Brazil's National Congress Building in Brasilia.
· Justice Sanjiv Khanna was sworn in as Supreme Court Judge on 18th January, 2019.
· Maheshwari and Khanna were selected by the collegiums after Justice Arun Mishra replaced Justice Madan B Lokur, who demitted office in December, 2018.
· Justice Dinesh Maheshwari was sworn in as Supreme Court Judge on 18th January, 2019.
· Justice Maheshwari was sworn in first, followed by Justice Khanna.
· Justice Thottathil Bhaskaran Nair Radhakrishnan was sworn in as the first Chief Justice of the Telangana High Court on 1st January, 2019.
· Later, Justice Radhakrishnan administered the oath of office to 12 justice of Telangana High Court.
· Krishna Sobti, recipient of Sahitya Akademi, Jnanpith Awards and an unparalleled figure in Hindi Literature died on 25th January, 2019.
· Some of her celebrated works incudes: Daar Se Bichhudi, Mitro Marjani, Zindaginama, Dil-o-Danish, Badalom ke Ghere, Ai Ladki and Gujarat Pakistan Se Gujarat Hindustan.
· Guinness World Record Holder "world's oldest man", Masazo Nonaka of Japan, died at the age of 113 on 20th January, 2019 at his home in the north of Japan's Hokkaido Island.
DSC Prize for South Asian Literature 2018
· DSC Prize for South Asian Literature 2018 was awarded to Jayant Kakini & Tejaswini Niranjana for a short story collection titled "No Presents Please" on 25th January, 2019 at the Tata Steel Kolkata Literary Meet.
· In the above mentioned award ceremony, US $25,000 DSC Prize was awarded to them along with a unique trophy presented by the eminent writer Ruskin Bond.
Japan Prize 2019
· India born professor Dr. Rattan Lal, along with Dr. Yosio Okamoto was chosen as the recipient of the 2019 Japan Prize in the fields of "Materials, Prroduction" and Biological Production, Ecology".
Phillip Kotler Presidential Award
· PM Narendra Modi, on 14th January, 2019 was awarded the 1st Philip Kotler Presidential award, in New Delhi by the World marketing Summit India.
· This Award focuses on the triple-bot-tom-line of 'People, Profit, and Planet'.
· It will be offered annually to the leader of a Nation.
Gandhi Peace Prize
· The Government on 16th January, 2019 announced the names of the winner of the Gandhi Peace Prize for 2015 to 2018.
· This award is presented to individuals/institutions for their contribution towards social, economic and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
· For 2015: Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari for their contribution in rural development, and education.
· For 2016: Akshaya Patra Foundation for providing mid-day meals to children across India and Sulabh International for its work towards emancipation of manual scavengers.
· For 2017: Ekal Abhiyan Trust for their contribution in providing education for ruraland tribal children.
· For 2018: Yohei Sasakawa, for his role in leprosy eradication in India.
Sushila Devi Literature Award
· The 1st edition of Bhopal Literature and Art Festival on 09th January, 2019 named writer Namita Gokhale as the winner of 'Sushila Devi Literature Award' for her novel " Things to Leave Behind".
· Ministry of External Affairs with Observer Research Foundation jointly organized the 4th edition of the Raisina Dialogue which took place from 08th to 10th January, 2019 in New Delhi.
· The theme of the Dialogue was "A World Reorder: New Geometries; Fluid Partnerships; Uncertain Outcomes".
Indian Science Congress
· The 106th session of Indian Science Congress (ISC), 2019 was held from 03rd to 07th January, 2019 in Jalandhar, Punjab.
· The theme for this event was "Future: India-Science and Technology" which showcased what is being done, what can be done and what would define the future of S & T in India.
State Tiger Protection Force (STPF)
· The Telangana government has decided to form a 112 member armed 'State Tiger Protection Force' (STPF) to protect Tiger population in Amarabad and Kawal Tiger Reserves.
· The State and Central Government will share the cost of the force on 40:60 basis.
Committee on Group Insolvency
· The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of |India (IBBI) has set up an 11-member committee under the Chairmanship of former SEBI chief UK Sinha to recommend a complete regulatory framework to facilitate insolvency resolution and liquidation of debtors in a corporate group within the IBC.
· The committee with 7-members and 4-invitees will submit its report within 2 months of its constitution, as per the IBBI.
Committee to Boost Digital Payments
· Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has constituted a High-Level committee on Deepening of Digital Payments to encourage digitization of payments and enhance financial inclusion.
· The five-member committee will be headed by UIDAI's former Chairman Nandan Nilekani.
Expect Panel on MSMEs
· The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 02nd January, 2019 set up an expert committee under former SEBI chairman U.K. Sinha to suggest long-term solutions for the economic and financial sustainability of the MSME sector.
· The Expert Committee will submit its report by the end of June, 2019.
Bloomberg Innovation Index 2019
· India was ranked 54th in the list of most innovative countries in the world with a score of 47.93 out of 100 in 2019 'Bloomberg Innovation Index' of 60 economies.
· South Korea has topped the Index for the sixth time in a row with a total score of 87.38, followed by Germany and Finland.
Corruption Perception Index 2018
· The Corruption Perception Index 2018 was released by the anti-corruption watchdog Transparency International on 29th January, 2019.
· As per the Index, India had marginally improved its score to 41 (from 40 in2017), and its position to 78 out of 180 countries in 2018.
· New Zealand and Singapore scored the highest scores with 89 and 84 out of 100, respectively. Somalia was found to be in the most corrupt country in the world.
World Steel Associations Report
· As per the report, India has jumped ahead of Japan to become the world's 2nd largest steel producing country in the world. While China is still on top with its crude steel production in 2018.
Global Talent Competitiveness Index 2019
· India has moved up one position to rank 80th on the Global Talent Competitive Index (GTCI) 2019, but struggles among the BRICS nations.
· China emerges the top among the BRICS nations. As per the report, India's biggest challenge is to improve its ability to attract and retain talent.
· The top 5 countries in the list are: Switzerland, Singapore, U.S.A, Norway and Denmark.
Democracy Index 2019
· The 11th edition of Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) Democracy Index 2019 has ranked India at 41. India's ranking has dropped dramatically from the 27th rank in 2014 to 41st in 2019.
· As many as 167 countries were ranked wherein Norway, Iceland, Sweden, New Zealand and Denmark topped the list.
Henley Passport Index 2019
· According to the Henley Passport Index, India jumped two positions from 81st in 2018 to 79th in 2019.
· Japan retained its top spot as the world's most travel-friendly passport due to the document's access to 190 countries.
· The Henley Passport Index is based on data provided by the International Air Transport Authority (IATA) and covers 199 passports and 227 travel destinations.
ACI's Ease Of Doing Business Index
· Andhra Pradesh topped the Asia Competitiveness Institute (ACI), Singapore's 2018 Ease of Doing Business (EoDB) Index of 21 states of India, while Maharashtra and Delhi came in second and third place, respectively.
"Jiban Sampark Project"
· Odisha CM on 26th January, 2019 announced "Jiban Sampark Project" in partnership with UNICEF India to generate awareness about the development and welfare initiatives of the state government among the Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) of the State.
· The focus areas will include skill development, empowering communities, cooperation and innovation among the groups of PVTGs in our country.
· Odisha CM on 26th January, 2019 inaugurated the 15-day long annual Tribal Fair aka Adivasi Mela in Bhubhaneshwar, Odisha.
15th Edition of PBD
· The 15th edition of Pravasi Bhartiya Divas (PBD) was held from 21st to 23rd January, 2019 in the holy city of Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh.
· This year's theme was "Role of Indian Diaspora in building New India". This mega event was organized by the Ministry of External Affairs in association with UP government.
INS Kohassa at Andaman
· Indian Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba on 24th January, 2019 commissioned the new Naval Air Base INS Kohassa in Diglipur, Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
· This will be our country's 3rd Naval Air facility after INS Utkarsh at Port Blair and INS Baaz at Campbell Bay in the Andaman.
Museum of Indian Cinema (NMIC)
· PM Modi on 19th January, 2019 inaugurated the National Museum of Indian Cinema (NMIC) in Peddar Road, Mumbai.
· The Museum was constructed under the guidance of Museum Advisory Committee headed by Shyam Benegal, and an innovative committee headed by Prasoon Joshi.
· The museum is housed in 2-buildings- the new museum building and the 19th century historic palace Gulshan Mahal-in the Films Division Campus.
"One Family, One job" Scheme
· Sikkim CM on 12th January, 2019 launched the "One Job" scheme which entitles one government job for every family in the State.
· At a "Rojgar Mela" organized at the Paljor Stadium, Gangtok, over 12,000 unemployed youths were handed out letters on 12th January, 2019.
Virat Kohli bags 3 Major Awards
· Virat Kohli on 22nd January, 2019 was named as the first player in history to win the ICC Cricketer of the year, the ICC Test and ODI Player of the year awards.
Nari Skakti Word of the Year
· On 26th January, 2019, the Oxford Dictionary announced "Nari Shakti" as the Hindi Word of the Year.
· The panelists felt that Nari Shakti was the perfect word as many events of the past years showed change for women in India towards a future which is all about equality and partnerships.
"The Republic Of Northern Macedonia"
· The Parliament of Macedonia has passed the resolution to amend the constitution of the country to rename it as "The Republic of Northern Macedonia".